Home » History

History

The Group

Garforth Scouts in 1908 (click to enlarge)

Garforth Scouts in 1908 (click to enlarge)

1st Garforth in 1988 (click to enlarge)

1st Garforth in 1988 (click to enlarge)

1st Garforth Scout Group in 2014 (click to enlarge)

Group in 2014 (click to enlarge)

We believe that we are one of the oldest scout groups in the World. Although we are not on the official list of 1908 scout troops, we do have evidence that scouting in Garforth has been operating since that time, we have also been allowed to celebrate our 100th Anniversary by the scout association in 2008.

We were presented with the photograph above (left) by Mrs Annie Thompson in 1988at our 80th Birthday party. Mrs Thompson was able to name some of the lads in the picture including her own brother; George Draker (who was killed in World War One), Bertram Hebden,  A boy named Dobson (the son of a local coalman), Frank “Piggy” Parker (a Major in the First World War), Arthur Cook, Reg Lincloln, Sid Fryer, boys called Robertshaw, Hancock, Errington and Harry Fryer of East Garforth. Harry was our First Leader, he applied for and was issued with his warrant in 1911.

Mrs Thompson told us that the Troop was started in 1908 just 1 year after Baden Powell took the first party of Scouts to Brownsea Island and founded the Scouting movement.

We would love to hear from anyone from any Scout Troop, who has photos or information that pre-dates our photo.

As you can see from the above, we have a good claim when we say we are one of the oldest Scout Groups in the World, and we are still going strong.

Delta Leaders in the 90's

Delta Leaders in the 90’s

Winning!

Winning!

Cubs on Camp

Cubs on Camp

For over 80 years we used to meet on spare ground near St Mary’s Church, but due to the ever increasing cost of land, the Diocesan Council who owned the land decided that it would be better turned into hard cash and we had to go.

Luckily with the Help of Leeds City Council we were able to move to the grounds of Barley Hill School, on Barely Hill Road in Garforth where we rebuilt our HQ and are currently there today, however the School is now closed and will shortly be demolished to make way for new housing.  It is hoped that we will remain in our current position and continue to grow for the next 100 years.

We currently have two Scout Troops, Delta and Burma, Two Cub Packs, Eagles and Ravens, and Two Beaver Sections, St Lawrence and Apache.

Within these Sections our Leaders have 100s of years of experience in providing a varied Scouting programmes to young people, see our Leaders (Link).  We have a very active Executive Committee (Link Mangement) who oversee our expenditure and fundraising and help us to provide the very best facilities and equipment for our young members.

If you would like to help with this work in any way please contact us at  Contact

We are constantly on the lookout for information about 1st Garforth Scouts and if you have any information that would be of assistance please contact us to share it.